Here are some information and tips for your next interview. There are a few types of questions interviewers and potential employers are not suppose to ask. Check the list below to find out a few specific types of questions you should be aware of:
- Are you married?
- How old are you?
- What year did you graduate from school?
- From what country does your family originate?
- Do you have plans to get pregnant in the future?
- What does your spouse do for living?
- Will you have to hire a babysitter if you get this job?
- How will you get yourself to work?
- Have you ever taken a leave of absence from a job?
- Do you go to church?
If you get asked those kind of questions in an interview, here are some tips what you can do:
- Answer the question. (If you are comfortable with this)
- You can try to change the topic of the conversation
- Answer the “intent” of the question. For example, if you are asked whether you are a Canadian citizen (not legal to ask), reply that you are authorized to work in the Canada, which is a question the employer can ask you and which is appropriate to answer.
- You can also refuse to answer the question. That should be your last option and just be aware that it might cost you the job.
Always remember to react and behave appropriate as this could be your future employer!
Written by Jenni Schoepe:
Jenni comes originally from Germany and moved to Vancouver in June 2013, right after she graduated with a Bachelor degree in Business Administration and decided to stay. While she is busy helping to place our nannies she’s completing a Certificate for Human Resource Management at SFU. Jenni also enjoys traveling, reading and to discover new places in Vancouver.