Science projects are a great way for kids to learn through having fun; this lava lamp project is both educational and fun to try!
Lava Lamp project
What you’ll need:
- Clear bottle(s)
- Food color
- Alka Seltzer
- Using the funnel, pour oil into the clear bottle, about 2/3 full.
- Pour water into the bottle, leave 1/3 of space at the top.
- Add your food color, you can be generous!
- Observe the different layers now sitting in your bottle, what do you see?
- Cut 1 Alka Seltzer tablet into small pieces and drop in one piece at a time.
- Watch what happens!
The food coloring and water mix together but not with the oil. The Alka Seltzer will produce little balls of colored gas that float through the oil just like a lava lamp! You can put the cap on your bottle and store it and when you want to do the project again, just drop in the Alka Seltzer and enjoy!