Now that summer has finally arrived, why not get your little ones excited about special treats that they can help make?!
Chocolate – Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Pops (makes 12)
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
2 cups non fat Greek yogurt
3 Tbl honey
½ cup chocolate chips
1. In a food processor, puree the strawberries, honey and yogurt until smooth.
2. Evenly distribute the mixture into the freezer popsicle molds, about 2cm from the top and then add the chocolate chips to each. Stir in equally, allowing the air out.
3. Add the sticks and freeze 6-8 hours.
One small sized, seedless watermelon
1 tsp agave syrup
1. Slice the watermelon and take off green and white rind. Cut watermelon into chunks and add to food processor.
2. Puree, leaving a some chunks and add in agave syrup and stir well.
3. Pour into popsicle molds and let freeze approx 6 hours.
You can really use any fruits. The more tart the fruit, try adding in honey, agave syrup or even bananas.
Trail mix with a chocolate twist
Rather than having your kids go straight for the chocolate chips when you pull out the trail mix, why not drizzle it all over the top so they get some in each bite?
- 3 cups nuts (ex. peanuts, almonds and pecans)
- 1/2 cup shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Mix together all the ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave. Pour the chocolate over the baking sheet in ribbons. Stir to coat everything. Let the chocolate cool, then break the mix into pieces and pack it in individual containers. Makes 12 servings.
Lisa Bruce is a mother first and foremost to her 2 wonderful kids, wife, Placement Manager and owner of the newest Nannies on Call branch in the Okanagan.