Small Hazards Can Be Big Hazards

Yes, there are major catastrophes to be aware and prepared for and hopefully you have your Emergency box stashed away and never have to use it. However, there are also small dangers to be conscious of to keep a safe home for your children and pets.

If you keep lovely foliage in your home, be sure to do your research and know its poisonous parts before exposing it to the clutches of your baby or curious cat. Certain “helpful” house plants such as the Aloe Vera plant can be helpful with its reputation for topical healing on cuts and burns, but be aware, ingesting the aloe could be truly dangerous. Other seemingly harmless plants such as Chrysanthemums (Mums), Hydrangeas and the winter favorite, Poinsetta are also toxic and may cause a multitude of symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. It is recommended to do your research or ask the local Horticulturist which is the best family-friendly plants to keep in your home. Another alternative is to “go fake” – nowadays the plastic flower doesn’t look as fake as it did when we were kids!

Exercise equipment is suppose to be a “friend” but can be a “foe” for little fingers and toes and should not be mistaken for toddler gym equipment. Seemingly harmless treadmills can be seen as a fun slide but is no “fun for Dick and Jane” as a moving belt can cause friction injuries and entrap hair or clothing. Children who play on a treadmill with or without supervision may stumble, fall and get propelled off the back or side of the treadmill. This can result in broken bones, head injuries or other trauma. If the equipment has to be kept out be sure to unplug or lock off the treadmill or once a child appears mature enough to use exercise equipment safely, give them a thorough walk-through of all the operating command and safety features.

For these types of emergencies call Poison Control Centre (911) and tell the expert:

  • The child’s age.
  • The child’s weight.
  • Known existing health conditions or problems.
  • The substance involved and how it contacted the child. For example, was it swallowed, inhaled, absorbed through skin contact, or splashed into the eyes?
  • Any first-aid which may have been given.
  • If the child has vomited.
  • Your location, and how long it will take you to get to the hospital.
  • Do not give anything by mouth until advised by the Poison Control Center.

Enlisting in a Level 1 or Child Safe First Aid course is also a wise idea as you can never be too prepared! An 8 hour course is worth investing in should you ever encounter an emergency.

Susan Lee – Client Services Manager

Nannies on call mobile app banner Nannies on call mobile app banner